Pages

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Grabbing The Brass Ring?

When I created The Nosy Gamer three years ago I didn't really figure that what I had to say about MMORPGs would really interest anyone.  I put a free Sitemeter counter on the blog because that's what I did with my political and current events blog and I was curious if anyone would spend the time to read my ramblings.  I figured that if I stuck with blogging long enough that some of the facts I published might get referenced by some popular bloggers but that's about it

The Nosy Gamer is now more popular than my political blog ever was.  Since CCP Sreegs mentioned The Nosy Gamer in his Fanfest presentation and then mentioned the blog again in a forum thread in reply to people asking for good botter tears I've seen a sustained increase in traffic.  (Oh yeah, and The Mittani wrote a thing too.)  I'm now listed on the Eve Online Bloggers Portal and The Eve Blog Pack, although I'm sure that since this isn't strictly an Eve blog that I'll be delisted soon due to the TAGN rule, but it is the thought that counts.

While I'm enjoying my 15 minutes of fame, I still have a hard time taking the idea seriously.  Me?  But at least nobody would want to take a blog post of mine and publish it in full, right?  Wrong.  Riverini published my blog about CCP's claims about their anti-RMT activities.  I have to admit at first I was pretty impressed.  He even created a graphic and a real sweet introduction, calling The Nosy Gamer "an obligatory read for every serious Eve Online aficionado." 

But then I thought about it a little more.  I didn't submit the article to EN24 and no one contacted me about posting it.  Then I looked at the rates that EN24 pays its contributors.  75 million for a 300 word article is pretty sweet.  Then it hit me; Riverini was getting scammed.  I thought about keeping quiet and letting EN24 pay out to this mysterious scammer who assumed my identity.  I do have a twisted sense of humor and would have loved seeing just how long the scam would last.  As long as I did a lot of links back to myself in articles, based on the article on EN24 I would receive a lot of traffic.  But after seeing the part about the drawing for a Tech 3 cruiser, I decided to speak up.  After all, isk is one thing but losing out on a Loki would be something I couldn't take.

So I did a little searching around and emailed Riverini that I didn't authorize the posting of the story and if he would kindly remove the "Posted by Nosy Gamer" from the posting.  I also tried to get information out of him to do a "Eve News 24 scammed" story for today.  Turns out my story wasn't posted as part of a scam.  I was just confused with someone who had agreed to have his blog syndicated on EN24.  So Riverini unlisted the story.  It was an honest mistake.

But the story doesn't end there.  Riverini is still interested in syndicating the blog.  I have to think a little more about this and all the possible implications.  After all, this is Eve; every action has consequences.  And while I'm considering, I'll ask the obvious question to the readers: should I grab the brass ring and say yes?


11 comments:

  1. Just started reading your blog as a referral from Jesters Trek. I may not read all your posts but I enjoy the ones I do. I pick up your blog through Google reader.

    Yes. Why not syndicate?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been a LONG time reader and commenter on your blog. I have enjoyed reading your blog and find it interesting. Grab that ring and hold on tight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hell yes, sell out! You wouldn't be a _real_ EVE player if you didn't! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup. Just realize his payment schedule can be a bit slow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not unless he pays you big. That guy is making REAL money on that site and its bascially full of reposts of blogs. All of you bloggers are being taken for a ride by that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why do you blog? Do you do it for the fun or the fame? If the former then no, it will ruin the fun (just ask anyone else who gets trolled nigh on to death.) If you do it for the fame... caveat emptor.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the way this blog is "independant". I don't think the syndication and all the EN24 comments will help to keep this independance...

    ReplyDelete