Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

2013: A Year For Living Dangerously?

Yesterday I thought about how I can make ISK in Eve while playing Guild Wars 2.  Today I'll go to the other extreme and think about actually shooting ships piloted by other players.  I started thinking about that when reading Andski's article on TheMittani.com, "The Perpetually Unprepared".  I don't think I totally fit Andski's stereotype as I do fly around low sec and actually killed a Thrasher that attempted to gank Wandering Rose while she was mining in a .2 system.  But normally my PvP consists of see player, run from player.

That may change in 2013.  I have the learned skills to succeed in PvP on Rosewalker and with the diversion in my skill plan to ensure I can fly all the battlecruisers I can not only fly all of the Minmatar well but also all of the Caldari missile boats up to the Drake.  Once I finish getting all my scan probe skills up to 5 I can work on the other races weapons and electronic warfare skills.

I do have another option mentioned by Andski in the article and use an alt.  I have a third account in which I'm training industrial alts.  Currently I have two characters, an Amarr miner and a Gallente transport pilot who will finish the current skill plan on 1 January.  Both characters either have or will have the Core Competency certificate trained up to Standard by the end of the year.  Training the gunnery and ship command skills shouldn't take too long.

Or I could just create another Minmatar pilot to begin the year and go out to low sec with guns blazing.  Why not?  My alt could fly the Minmatar ships Rosewalker can fly, just with minimal skills instead of all the support skills at 5.  If I do that when I take Rosewalker out on a roam combat will seem much easier.  Maybe even join RvB and stay nice and safe in The Forge.  Oh, that's part of the reason I don't take Rosewalker to RvB; he isn't well liked by the Caldari police.

One other event makes getting into PvP more attractive: Retribution.  With CCP revamping so many ships the whole metagame is changing.  This is probably the time to jump in, get my feet wet and learn with everyone else.

I'm not saying I will absolutely, positive jump into PvP and become the terror of New Eden.  Rawr!  The picture in my mind of that makes me laugh in real life.  But changing the way I play is always a possibility and and if I have learned one thing about Eve is that change is the only constant.

6 comments:

  1. You should seriously consider faction warfare. It has a lot of advantages for a casual PvP player from solo to fleets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it right after I left Eve University when I really couldn't afford it. But times have changed so I may have to try again.

      Delete
  2. Finding out what you like in PvP and what kind of PvP you like as well as the group that supports you in it is one of the biggest things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of players think that by "getting ready" they need skills, ISK stockpile, theory crafting, etc... They actually don't ... the biggest obstacle to overcome is the the mindset that losing is a terrible thing. It isn't.

    You don't need to train a new alt or limit yourself in order to learn or have fun ... and if you feel you have to then in reality you are keeping hold of a mindset that will hold you back.

    The only real learning occurs when you embrace the danger of taking a loss. I'm not saying do crazy, suicidal, high ISK loss fights from the start. I'm saying you can't really push yourself to care about losses (or victories) that don't possess any intrinsic risk.

    The first time you go out you are going to encounter the "LOL - I owned you noob" comments in local, the hazing for making a basic mistake, the bragging about the ISK you spent on a ship that is floating as a wreck, the implants that got blasted. Possessing an internal critic to your own actions and being able to listen to it will be your most valuable tool -- not more SP or ISK.

    Get into a group -- FW, 0.0, war decs, pirating yarr -- doesn't matter which, so long as the people you choose to surround yourself with push themselves to do well, set expectations for performance, and are willing to teach. Solo is the long, hard, and frustrating road to learning.

    Getting the right mindset is the only thing you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am one of those perpetually unprepared players that has been playing for 3 years.
    I just need to train up for some more T2 modules. Ofc I realized that all I have to do is jump into my least skilled alt, fit a t1 frigate with t1 fittings if needed and press that UNDOCK button.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to give Sov Null a try convo Callduron, my character in game. We're in Querious and since I joined in August I've experienced a good mix of pvp types - small gang, solo, and huge coalition wide fleets beamed up by titans. Our alliance leader is Jadecougar, one of the hosts of the Lost In Eve podcast.

    ReplyDelete