First, let's take a look at the call over at EN24:
We are opening spots in the EN24 team. If you wish to be part of the crew, here are the basics:EN24 is easy to understand. The site focuses strictly on EVE. For those who wish to write a lot, a pretty good opportunity.
– Good Grammar.
– Skype access.
– Free time.
– Decent EVE politics knowledge.
– Decent EVE Online experience.
– Wish to earn some Iskies.
– Open minded view on current political events
– All TZs
– Aim to write 2 articles per week
– Write about events happening in and around Eve Online
– Opportunity to interview well-known players.
– Payment is determined on your amount of articles every month
Note: In-game background is not important for the job, everybody is welcome!
Next comes TMC, which is a little more complex:
It has been almost six months since we have actively recruited new contributors to the site, and we are now ready to take on new blood. The application process, writing expectations, and ISK compensation for relevant pieces are as follows:I believe that only EVE Online articles are eligible for ISK payouts, so ask about payment before writing about any other game. Unless, of course, the goal is to become a junior editor and making real world cash. At that point, quantity counts as long as the quality doesn't drop.
- Email a writing sample in the form of a publishable feature article to firstname.lastname@example.org. If your application is accepted, this will be your first published piece. It should relate to something our readers are interested in - our core games (Eve Online, Star Citizen, H1Z1, Elite: Dangerous, League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online, PlanetSide 2, World of Tanks, World of Warships), science fiction book reviews, or real world space/future tech news. Former contributors interested in returning under this new system are welcome to apply normally.
- Contributors are expected to write a minimum of one publishable article every two weeks.
- Contributors who write relevant articles will be gifted 250m ISK per published article.
- Each month, the three contributors who have produced the most relevant articles will be gifted a bonus; the top contributor will receive 500m ISK/article, second 375m ISK/article, and third 300m ISK/article. In the past we've given the top writer a fixed bonus reward, this new system increases the bonus the more that is written, and expands it to three potential winners instead of one.
- Contributors who achieve a spot among the top three writer positions for two months in a row are qualified to apply for junior editor positions, which can earn real-world financial incentives.
The TMC offer is a bit more appealing than the one from EN24. First, the requirements of two articles per month versus two per week is more attractive to those who may only have the spare time to write on weekends. Also, some stories just need a lot of research. Next is the presence of editors. If the TMC editorial staff takes steps like making sure links work properly (and are relevant) and stopping questionable stories as well as checking on grammar and spelling, that is a big plus in my view. Finally, TMC spells out the rewards for writing articles.
One question I do have though is how well both news sites will do without real news until FozzieSov hits Tranquility in (hopefully) July. Reporting on Titan ganks only goes so far. Perhaps the current quiet in null sec will allow a shakedown period for new members of the staffs. But for those who wish to write about EVE, the openings are now available.