Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2022

Reconsidering The Daily Omega Rewards

Back in April 2020, the developers of EVE Online added daily login rewards as a standard feature. At the time, I wasn't a big fan due to the login rewards. Also, the feature felt like a cheap way to recover daily active user (DAU) and monthly active user (MAU) numbers following the disastrous Chaos Era of 2019. With Pearl Abyss Chief Financial Officer Cho Seok-woo telling investors the following month that Pearl Abyss was actively involved in EVE development to improve the number of EVE players, I was pretty turned off with the feature.

Fast forward to today. After a year or so of only playing EVE for the events, I decided to start playing semi-seriously. One of the things I like to do is mine. But mining in EVE is not like gathering in Final Fantasy XIV. In FFXIV, I can gather everything, sell on the market, and feel good. Over the first three weeks of January, I tried doing the same thing in EVE. When I received the ISK, I just felt meh.

I then looked in my redeem queue and saw some blueprint copies. The main ships I fly are Minmatar and ORE. I have almost no ships from the other factions. But I do have the blueprints for plenty of frigates, destroyers, and cruisers. So why not use the things CCP gives me?

From the daily login rewards

One of the interesting parts of the login reward is that the blueprint copies are fully researched. Not only that, but each BPC has two runs for twice the fun. For maximum efficiency, I plan on manufacturing the ships in low sec, where the manufacturing price is usually lower. At the end of mining, I'd rather have a ship hull than some extra ISK in my wallet.

Don't get me wrong. I don't like having to use boosters by redeeming them from the queue. Only having 7 days to use them is a turnoff. I also find the temporary SKINs annoying. Why apply them except to unclutter the redemption queue, especially if I don't even fly the ship. But I'm starting to come around on the blueprint rewards. Not only can I save those for use weeks down the road, but they help with the desire to return to mining.

No comments:

Post a Comment