Pages

Tuesday, October 24, 2023

EVE Online's New Beta Launcher

When installing programs on my new computer a couple of weeks ago I was presented the option to use the new launcher currently in beta. The launcher debuted back in April and at the time I played EVE on my laptop. I ignored the new feature at the time, but with the fresh install I thought, "Why not?"

The beta launcher as of late October 2023

CCP gave out some lofty goals that kind of put me off using the new launcher.

The new launcher offers a more immersive experience by putting your characters front and center, and offering personalized content, in addition to improving security and performance. The updated launcher also enables automatic updates, faster development, and native support for all operating systems and architectures supported by EVE Online. It also offers a more tailored experience that depends on players' familiarity with the game, with new players getting a simplified version and educational content, while veterans can focus on character management and communication.

My feeling at the time was I did not want to play test rat. Let someone else test the launcher. But after downloading the launcher, I liked the layout. As CCP wrote in their devblog:

Your characters have now taken center stage in the launcher. For each of your accounts, you will see the names and portraits of every pilot under your command. Launching into New Eden will now be faster than ever before. Simply select character and click “Play Now” to launch the game client. You can assign specific characters to launch groups, although this is optional, and you may opt for the Character Selection screen instead. Should you prefer the classic character selection screen, changing it is as simple as opening the settings menu and selecting your preference under Game Client.

The "more immersive experience" is confining the ads and news articles to the left hand side of the launcher. The old layout with ads and articles taking up the middle of the screen probably increased the desire of players to find an alternative to the launcher. Also, the ability to set up launch groups, while already existing, should handle the concerns of players with multiple accounts.

Moving between accounts on the launcher I found amusing. Select the account and the characters display vertically. Vertical supremacy anyone? Accounts without focus display the characters horizontally.

The window taking up most of the launcher real estate on the right hand side shows information about both the account and the character. Players can actually click on a tab and see when their Omega time expires as well as hover over the Clone State tab. I should also add the Clone State tab also includes a button to make purchasing more time more convenient.

One disappointment is that the Notifications tab disappeared and in its place is a button leading to the EVE Academy. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of directing new players to information on how to play the game. But I've played for 14 years and I liked the options presented to me before, even though they didn't work.

I still haven't come up with a reason not to use the new launcher. Even if one looks at the launcher and finds the new software wanting, I think the new launcher is still a big improvement on the old one. And who knows, the launcher is still in beta. The devs can still improve the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment