Pages

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Procurer's Have A Beautiful Hull

If CCP is looking to attract more miners with the upcoming mining ship changes, they have succeeded with me, at least for a few weeks.  I'm falling in love with the new Skiff, and the Procurer isn't too bad either.  If you are looking for an intelligent discussion on the new mining changes, check out Mabrick's post on how he would change mining ships or listen to Voices from the Void #51 that features CSM 7 Chairman Seleene and Space Monkey Alliance's Gevlin.  For myself, I'm looking for a little excitement.

Excitement while mining?  Yes, because I've found that low-sec makes anything more fun, or at least more nerve-wracking.  I wouldn't want to take the existing mining barges into low-sec because they are too slow and clumsy.  I'm a Minmatar pilot and my ships must have three things: speed, agility, and duct tape.  While ORE builds their ships too well to require duct tape, the Procurer hull brings lots of speed and agility.

I love the Skiff, at least in theory.

My low sec choice for mining

High
1 x Modulated Strip Miner II

Medium
2 x Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
1 x Medium Shield Extender II
1 x Upgraded 1MN Microwarpdrive I
1 x Survey Scanner II

Low
1 x Damage Control II
1 x Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Rigs
1 x Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
1 x Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
With the skills on my industrial pilot this fit gives me a ship I'm looking forward to taking into low-sec to do a little mining.  I haven't figured out the math on how to calculate align times, but aligning and warping off is really quick.  And a 70,000 EHP tank should save me from rats if I mine in a belt.  I have a microwarpdrive because in low-sec getting in range of asteroids quickly is important.  The survey scanner I think is a must have because with a 200% boost to the strip miner an asteroid that normally would take 15 minutes to deplete now takes less than 6.  Keeping track of the size of asteroids is almost as important as keeping track of local and the directional scanner.  Sitting in a low-sec belt for 90 seconds mining a depleted asteroid is, to use a technical term, a bad thing.

The Procurer doesn't look too bad either, especially for a cheap T1 mining barge.

A Procurer is not bad either

High
1 x Modulated Strip Miner II

Medium
1 x Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
1 x Medium Shield Extender II
1 x Upgraded 1MN Microwarpdrive I
1 x Survey Scanner II

Low
1 x Damage Control II
1 x Nanofiber Internal Structure II

Rigs
1 x Medium Low Friction Nozzle Joints I
1 x Medium Core Defense Field Extender I
1 x Medium Anti-EM Screen Reinforcer I
The Procurer has one less mid-slot but one additional rig slot than the Skiff.  I sacrificed tank for agility so I could escape faster in case unexpected visitors drop by.  Even so I have a respectable 46,000 EHP tank to go along with a 15,000 m3 ore hold.  For my crazy plan to mine in low-sec, the smaller drone bay makes choices harder.  With the Skiff's 50 m3 I can carry a full flight of light combat drones along with a full flight of ECM drones.  What do I do with the Procurer?

I have already purchased one Skiff and two Procurers and am just waiting for the changes to arrive on Tranquility.  In the meantime, I'm training up my defense and navigation skills because I can still make the statistics on the fittings I've shown a lot better.


10 comments:

  1. You mention a survey scanner but I don't see one. Did I miss something? I haven't flown with a 'roid scanner in years. I miss it at times but I find that I don't usually deplete a 'roid so long as I chew on a different one each cycle. Yeah, that dumps on the next guy but hopefully he has a scanner. 8D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, so you're the bugger that keeps leaving me tiny little chunks of rock to chew on! :-)

      Delete
    2. D'oh! The image was right but I listed the medium shield extender on twice, which doesn't fit. I've corrected the second one to say survey scanner II.

      Delete
  2. why? why nosy why? why the HELL would anyone in their right mind waste time in low sec on ore that is pitiful in comparison to scordite/veldspar in 0.9?
    i'm not whining, i'm just being practical. why are you mining in low if not for more profit for the risk?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with MinorFreak.
    As far as I can tell, lowsec minerals are worth less than highsec.
    Make sure you do some isk/hour calculations before lowsec belt mining.

    What I would suggest to you is get some exploration skills if you havent already.
    Mining sites in lowsec sometimes spawn crokite which IS worth mining. As well as making you a lot less vulnerable from pirates.
    Other exploration sites are also worth doing. From plexes to salvaging, hacking etc.

    Get probes on your overview (You need to change a txt file in the eve folder). Then use max range scan to keep an eye out for probes. Use overview settings on your scan. It will give you good advance warning of pirates trying to find your site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sorry to be a party pooper, but take a look at the current index:
      http://go-dl.eve-files.com/media/corp/MajorFreak/AmarrOreIceIndex.jpg

      it might be hellish fun to run the gauntlet but is it worth the lost time in opportunity costs of simply mining ice? you don't have to switch targets nor have partial loads.

      come patch time i'm going to be suggesting platinum insurance for covetor pilots with orca support and just mine ice like no tomorrow. The covetor isn't the hellish trianing time "who gives a rat's ass the exhumers are just in reach" story anymore.
      now n00bs can do a decent amount of mining without lengthy training times...and actually have OPTIONS for play style. solo? go retriever. in a gang? go covetor. wanting peace and quiet? go procurer.

      hell, mining agents might actually be attractive again...lord knows i haven't run any since the glory days.

      Delete
  4. Have you looked into gas mining? I want to manufactured drugs at some future point so I'm rather interested in the new barges as possible gas harvesters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gevlin Here:
    Drones: You may want to grab a selection of 5 MinersII and hobgoblin II to first take out the asteriods that are too small for your Skiffs lazers, and then the hob goblins to shoot down the jamming are warp scraming rats.
    Or if you are getting close to 0.0 you mah want to grab a bunch of hammer heads.
    The Procurers should be enough for any mining into low sec, So your loss will be minimal. But if you are addicted to speed.....

    Make sure you have some friends on the bat phone. The new design is meant to be a buffer tank than a Sustainable tank. allowing your friends to show up and get some kills.
    Putting a warp scram in the mid of your skiff can make your Skiff look like a Bait Skiff, as you will see a lot of these around. Which may cause the "Pack" to run, Leaving you will one target snared for your friends to come and shoot as payment for them coming to save you...

    Would be nice to hear:
    I have a Vexor Tackled in XYZ belt in System BBC, Please come help me finish him off. He has friends 2 vegas. friends as well. I am not sure how long I can hold them....

    vs. HELP HELP I am tackled in a Belt.

    I do enjoy your blog. which is quite the complement because I don't like reading blogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been planning on having my combat pilot ride shotgun in a Hound to take care of battlecruiser rats. A warp scrambler might add some fun.

      Delete