Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Thoughts On FFXIV's Beast Tribe Quests

I started playing Final Fantasy XIV on the 50th anniversary of the first landing of men on the moon. I switched to making FFXIV my main game at the beginning of February during the DDOS attacks and subsequent mitigation issues suffered by EVE Online at that time. Being stuck in Rens for nine days led me to play more and more FFXIV and I basically didn't stop once the servers became stable again.

As my first year in Eorzea comes to a close, I thought I'd write a few posts updating my progress and giving some thoughts on various features of the game. Currently I am sitting at the Heavensward quest in the Main Scenario Quest line. I also have white mage leveled to 67, all three gathering classes over level 60, and my lowest crafting class at level 57. One of my current main goals is completing all the beast tribe quests in ARR and Heavensward

The first beast tribes were added to FFXIV in patch 2.1. The first set of beast tribes introduced in A Realm Reborn were the Amalj'aa, Kobolds, Sahagin and Sylphs. A crafting based beast tribe, the Ixali, was introduced in patch 2.35. Heavensward added three additional tribes: Vanu Vanu (3.1), Vath (3.2) and the crafting based Moogles (3.3). The content felt like end of expansion filler content, which looking up when Square Enix introduced each tribe seems to confirm.

Why do the content while I'm leveling? Completing each tribes quest line results in making mounts, minions, and dyes available from each tribes' store. The beast tribe vendors are also a source for crafting materials. Since I am into both the crafting and glamour systems, doing the beast tribe daily quests made sense.

The storytelling for each beast tribe quest line is also worth playing. I've found most of the quest lines in FFXIV good so far. The way the beast tribes work is first, do a series of quests to qualify to do the daily quests. Doing daily quests results in reputation gains that lead to different levels of reputation. The game allows for doing 3 quests for a beast tribe per day per quest giver, with a maximum of 12 total beast tribe quests per day. Reaching the next level of reputation unlocks the next story quest. 

The one part of the feature I have not played is the allied beast tribe quests. Once a player reaches max reputation with all the beast tribes in a release, a final quest line appears. In ARR, completing the allied quest lines provides the Sable Death Mask. The Heavensward quest line provides the Moonlift Dance. 

Overall, I like the beast tribe quests. I currently am working on Sahagin quests from ARR and the Moogle and Vanu Vanu quests in Heavensward. The one thing that might slow me down is my desire to continue the MSQ and get to Stormblood. Doing nine quests a day does take some time, even though at this point I can one-shot most of the mobs. But I will at least finish the Moogle quests as those help in leveling my crafting classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment