Pages

Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Corp Wiki?

Having a new player in corp is really fascinating.  EVE Online has a tremendous amount of information to learn and up until now I didn't think I knew that much.  I'm discovering differently now as I keep answering some not-so-basic questions.  If I don't know the answers I usually remember where to get the information.  So far I've used everything from the Eve University Wiki to Jonny Pew videos to help explain New Eden.

But I'm starting to get to the point where I need to google answers because I just don't remember where I originally found them.  Things like what exactly is required to get perfect refining.  If anything, I need a place to put all of my links so I can go back a year later and get the information.

Then I saw what Sugar Kyle is doing with New Eden Source.  I never considered creating my own wiki before, but what she's put together looks ideal for my purposes.  I just want to create something useful for the corp, like links to people who know what they're talking about.  I'm finding the bulletin feature in the corp interface is good for new stuff, but not so good for historical purposes.  And Google Sites does have one big benefit: it's free as long as I stay within certain limits.

Something tells me if I start a wiki that I'm going to have a little information creep, like adding a section on the MMORPG industry's war on illicit RMT.  But adding things like the EULA and ToS is probably a really good idea anyway.

So on this 4-day weekend of mine I'll probably take a couple of hours and put something together.  I doubt the project will interest anyone but I now see why corporations and alliances create their own wikis.  Trying to keep all the information straight in one's head just doesn't work.

EDIT:  The first thing I need to put on is how to bypass the launcher.  I tried to log in and the input boxes for username and password did not appear.  Ugh!

4 comments:

  1. "
    EDIT: The first thing I need to put on is how to bypass the launcher. I tried to log in and the input boxes for username and password did not appear. Ugh! "

    Same problem happened to me. You need to run the eve repair tool. This is located in your eve folder. You cannot use the repair tool that comes with the launcher. It will take like 2 minutes to fix, or at least it did for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually it turned out that CCP released some bad code so running the repair tool wasn't necessary. They fixed it on their end.

      You have a good point. But think of my poor newbro who, while more technical than me, may not know how to do it. Wouldn't it be a good idea to put the troubleshooting steps down for him in an accessible place?

      Delete
  2. If you track down the EVE folder (I use the shortcut properties to "Open File Location") then you can run the "exefile.exe" file directly. Running this will skip the launcher.

    ReplyDelete