Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

Gandhi On The BoB/Goonswarm Wars

I read with great concern yesterday about the shortage of Sun Tzu quotes facing EVE Online.  So in an effort to help out, I thought I'd share a quote I first heard yesterday.  The quote is from an unexpected source, though.  Not Sun Tzu, von Clausewitz, or even The Mittani.1 No, this quote comes from Gandhi and I think is perhaps the ultimate TL,DR on the Band of Brothers/Goonswarm wars, at least from the Goonswarm perspective.
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
Now, some may dispute that Gandhi ever said this and attribute the quote to U.S. trade unionist Nicholas Klein.  But as yesterday was the anniversary of the assassination of Gandhi, I thought I'd give those who credit the Indian leader with the quote.  Besides, who's going to credit something intelligent to someone in an NPC corp? 2


NOTES:

1.  The text version is found here.

2.  Artistic license abused.

6 comments:

  1. There's also the quote I threw in my own bio: "Nevertheless a prince ought to inspire fear in such a way that, if he does not win love, he avoids hatred..."

    In other words: if you're trying to keep the "pubbies" afraid of you, don't piss 'em off enough that they no longer care about being afraid, or you're in trouble.

    At least, that's how I interpret Machiavelli in that instance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. goons are the Roman empire at their peak. Except I don't see the goons falling apart through civil unrest. Eve, and CCP, will be long into a death spiral before the cfc falls apart.

    It is truly sad that CCP does not have enough foresight and stones to completely wipe out the existing null sec mechanics that support the massive coaltions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who says they don't and that they aren't doing just that. Even Goons admit the current mechanics are sub optimal.

      Delete
    2. Dimsdale, have you ever heard of the fable, 'The boy who cried wolf?"... well, of all the people, ingame or IRL, I have ever met, you really NEED to...

      NO one cares a whit for anything you say cause you never say anything but 'goons suc' n 'CCP sux' n EvE Is dying because :goons/CCP: ... after a while all you engender is pity.

      Delete
    3. I think it might be more accurate to say that the CFC resembles the French revolutionary empire at its peak. Say 18008 or 1809.

      Delete
    4. Dinsdale is a Goon. He exists to make Mitten's critics look back.

      It's the best explaination of the observable facts.

      Delete