Pages

Monday, February 14, 2022

Noticing EVE Online Marketing Efforts

After the first four days of Guardian's Gala, I had 425 event points. Pretty good, right? Even with my other EVE activities, I should reach 900 points by downtime on the 22nd. But this morning I received an email from CCP Games reminding me about the current event. 

This morning's email from CCP

My first thought was, is CCP freaking out about no big jump in users over the weekend. Looking at the numbers, PCU declined 2.5%, from 31,773 down to 30,977, week-over-week.

Looking at PCU on February 6 vs February 13

Such a small decline is pretty good on a weekend that saw Lost Ark launch and record the second largest concurrent player mark in Steam history. I then decided to go back through my emails and see if CCP always sends out reminders for events.

Apparently, the email reminders started in 2022. I received a reminder email six days after the beginning of the Doctor Who crossover event. Going back through my primary email account, I only received one notification for each EVE event.

I have mentioned in coverage of Pearl Abyss investor calls that Black Desert, especially Black Desert Mobile, was continuously losing revenue for over a year. At the time I suspected that Pearl Abyss would look to the EVE IP to staunch the losses caused not only by the decline of BDM, but also the failure to launch Crimson Desert on time. The Korean company is looking for any sources, ranging from NFTs to the metaverse, to increase revenue. Trying to drive engagement with reminder emails seems very tame compared to the alternatives discussed in the EVE news. But I thought I'd mention the effort anyway, if only for my own memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment