Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2026

BlizzCon 2026 - WoW Forever Goes Realmless

I did find one fascinating thing about the new World of Warcraft Forever infrastructure I wanted to post about. No realms. But that doesn't mean the game is played on a single giant realm like a fantasy EVE Online. According to the presentation I watched, a player just picks a ruleset and starts playing. An associated article indicates the same thing. I'm not exactly sure, but other sources indicate players are placed into shards in their own geographic regions.

Looking at the article, the devs place a large amount of the reason for the change from Retail WoW as social interaction.
World of Warcraft: Forever is also taking a new approach to how players choose where they play. For many players, that first realm choice has always carried a lot of weight: pick the right one and you can adventure with your friends, join the right community, and find groups more easily; pick a different one and you might discover too late that the people you wanted to play with are somewhere else entirely.

Instead of asking players to make that decision before creating a character, World of Warcraft: Forever is going realmless, making it easier to connect with friends while still preserving the community feel that has always made realms memorable.
I should mention that throwing all players together by region and playstyle also helps prevent the need for the dreaded server merge.
Each ruleset functions more like its own large ecosystem than a single traditional realm. This is not one giant realm for everyone, and cross-ruleset grouping is not supported. Factions remain separate, so Horde and Alliance players still cannot group together. Players can group, run dungeons, and raid with others who have chosen the same ruleset. Hardcore will remain a fully enclosed ecosystem, but if a Hardcore character dies, that character can transfer to another ruleset, including PvP.
Also, the devs are introducing something I never really thought about in my 17 years of playing EVE and 7 years of playing Final Fantasy XIV, selecting two names.
As part of the server updates, characters will also use two-part names, similar to having a “first name” and “last name.” Because names will be unique per region, this gives players more room to create original character names, such as “Ana Forever,” while keeping those identities recognizable across the larger connected environment.
Above were just the impressions I had after thinking about the situation for a couple of days. Below are Gemini's highlights on how the system will work.
  • Rulesets are strict silos: Realmless does not mean universal cross-play. You cannot group, run dungeons, or raid across ruleset boundaries (e.g., a Normal player cannot group with a PvP player). Faction walls (Horde vs. Alliance) also remain firmly in place.  

  • Shared economy: Each ruleset ecosystem maintains its own regional Auction House and mailing network. A single macro-economy handles materials and consumables per ruleset rather than fractured local realm economies.  

  • Social clustering & sharding: Because everyone on the same ruleset shares one macro-population, the backend sorts who you see in the open world. Priority clustering groups you with guildmates, friends, and players you recently interacted with to recreate the feeling of a local community without server caps.  

  • Two-part character names: Without realm suffixes to distinguish identical names (e.g., Shadow-Illidan), Forever requires first and last names (such as "Ana Forever") that are unique across your entire region.  
Having played EVE and FFXIV for so long I've forgotten some of the pain points I experienced when I played Vanilla WoW back in 2005-2006. EVE doesn't have server merges because the game runs on a single shard, two if you include the Serenity shard required by the Chinese Community Party and only runs in China. As for Square Enix' global servers, they haven't had to conduct a server merge since the relaunch of A Realm Reborn back in 2013. I'm interested to see how the new innovations for WoW Forever work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment