Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

About That 80 GB Download

I received an email from Zenimax offering me access to Elder Scrolls Online this weekend because I participated in the beta. Now that the game is buy-to-play, the thought did interest me, although the game is $60. Given my experience of the game making me nauseous, that price tag was enough to drive me off.

Another item designed to drive me off was the size of the download mentioned in the email: 80 GB. Yikes! Did I really want to download an 80 GB game? Heck, I might not even have time to play ESO, what with the war with Noob Farmers in EVE and the double XP week in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Double-XP week? That's right, from today until the 22nd, SWTOR is holding a double-XP week. With a level 39 currently on Hoth, would I really want to divert time away from leveling my agent to the level cap?

Then, fate jumped in. I was laid off yesterday, although my official last day isn't for two weeks. But, I left the building for the last time yesterday. So, while I wait for a bunch of paperwork to process (including recommendation letters), I have some time to kill. I'll do the traditional things, like cleaning the house, updating my resume, etc., but I really don't feel like doing much right now. Working in the same job for 18 years will do that.

Now, I'm not in any financial crunch to get a job right away, although that is my preference. I'm getting a 26-week severance package, so except for purchasing my own health insurance, nothing really changes for me through the end of October. Then again, if I can quickly get a job, I'll definitely have the money to go to Fanfest next year, plus pay off a good chunk of my remaining mortgage, with a couple thousand left over to get a top-of-the-line gaming rig. But that's if everything goes perfectly.

So, last night, I just decided to download ESO, play Flappy Titan, and listen to the latest episode of Crossing Zebras. And this weekend I'll just try to relax and lose myself in trying out a new video game along with a couple of old ones. And cleaning the house. Can't forget cleaning the house.

11 comments:

  1. Ouch! Sorry about the layoff. When I got hit in 2010, after 12 years at the same company, I got quite a bit of severance as well and ended up getting a new job pretty quickly, but it was still a big shock to the system. Good luck with the changes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, Ouch. That sucks. Good luck in finding replacement job !

    ReplyDelete
  3. 80GB installed, not download. It's about 35GB to download.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It did seem to download pretty fast for 80 GB.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lucky you, It took me 24 hours to download... I'm STILL downloading GTA V and it's been 48 hours, another 36 hours to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck in your job hunt! Does this mean you will be blogging more for a while too?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What they said. GL.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All the best with the jobhunt, mate. It's a sweet deal to get a big severance package, but never fun to have to look for work at a time not of your own choosing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck on the job front... don't know if you follow me but 6 months ago I landed my 1st FT gig after 17 years as an IT Contractor after 7 months unemployed...

    And the only severance contractors get is the call at 5:30P asking "Are you still at work?" "No." then saying "OK, well, thanx for everything, don't worry about going back in tomorrow, we'll send your stuff to your home address of record." (<-- actually happened to me)...

    I wish you the best, glad you had a parachute and I do honestly wish you the best of luck in your search... Oh, and clean up yer house man. =]

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very sorry to hear about your employment situation and wish you good luck in speedily finding a new job. Having said that, weren't you talking about your braces recently? For some reason I thought you were like 15 years old. LOL? My bad, I guess. Seriously, though, good luck, it's a shitty spot to be in for anything over a month or two.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As everyone else, sorry to hear about the layoff and good luck with the job hunt! Ping me if there's anything interesting in San Diego for ya ;)

    ReplyDelete