Pages

Thursday, July 1, 2021

Top 10 Most Popular Posts For The First Half Of 2021

This year I've written more posts than I had three of the last four years. Not bad for six months. I don't come close to the 5,000 monthly readers that all the EVE Online Partner sites have, but that's okay. Writing the blog is something I do for fun. I don't want to turn a 12 year-old hobby into a job. MMORPGs tend to turn gameplay into a second job. Doing the same for writing isn't too appealing.

Still, I can't say I'm not interested in the traffic I receive. I thought I'd indulge myself and look back at my 10 most popular posts so far. Surprisingly, three of the top 10 most popular articles were written in 2021.

1. What Is RMT? - My most popular post ever, this November 2013 post was inspired by the big SomerBLINK scandal kicked off by DNS Black. In the aftermath of that scandal, I decided to craft a definition. Despite a couple of examples becoming dated, I think the article holds up well.

2. Guardian's Gala 2021 - Introducing The Event - My most popular post written in 2021 so far, I provided an overview of the event. Back in February, some players were still excited about seasonal events in EVE. Hopefully what we see in the game now is just a summer swoon and the annual Crimson Harvest event will draw the interest of a lot of players.

3. FFXIV Patch 5.3: Expanding The Free Trial - Back in August 2020, Square Enix expanded the free trial of the critically acclaimed MMO to include Heavensward so you can play for free until level 60. I wrote the post before the meme became popular, which is why the article still says the maximum level of the free trial is 35. Who knew information about the free trial would become so popular?

4. Resource Redistribution And Low Sec - 2020 Edition - Sometimes I get carried away explaining a concept that interests me. In this October 2020 post, I went into detail about CCP's resource redistribution plans and how it might affect low sec. Do you think 2400 words is too much?

5. Thoughts on FFXIV's Beast Tribe Quests - A post written a year ago tomorrow, I'm still working my way through all the tribes. I have heard FFXIV's beast tribe quests compared to World of Warcraft's reputation grinds. But the good ones, not the bad ones. Maybe a WoW player could let me know what that means. I only played Vanilla WoW.

6. Final Fantasy XIV: Getting The Skybuilders' Needle - After getting the weaver's level 80 relic tool in February 2021, I had to write about the experience. Looking back, I think I'll need to refer to the post again to get my culinarian's relic tool. While some of the items change, the techniques transfer.

7. How Much Is A Titan Worth In January 2018? - I think a lot of EVE players get irritated when the gaming press starts tossing around real world money figures to describe ships lost in New Eden's major battles. The writers usually inflate the amount a lot. I tried to define a realistic value.

8. A PvE Rupture For Alphas And Omegas - In December 2016, writing about fits for alpha clones was all the rage. I probably need to revisit the fit, but I don't think much has changed.

9. Guardian's Gala 2021 - Day 4 - Finding Success - Another popular post from EVE's in-game event from February. I had trouble the first three days and figured out how to profit on day 4. With the popularity of the post, I think I wasn't the only one.

10. Low Sec Ice Mining: The Endurance - Released in December 2015, I managed to write a post about how to fit the new expedition frigate in January 2016. 


I will probably return to some of these topics in the second half of the year. From what I can tell, the current downturn in EVE marks the end of a stable black market that began in January 2020. I really should write about what I found. In FFXIV, I am finishing up the Stormblood beast tribe quests. I'm thinking of doing a series covering what essentially are reputation grinds. But Square Enix packages them up into something I enjoy. The final subjects are seasonal events in EVE. CCP announced a Minmatar celebration during the summer, plus the annual Crimson Harvest event is a must to at least check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment